Ultra Athletes plus Speedroids!
Main Deck (40):
- 2 U.A. Dreadnought Dunker
- 2 U.A. Mighty Slugger
- 2 U.A. Perfect Ace
- 3 U.A. Midfielder
- 3 Speedroid Terrortop
- 3 Speedroid Takentonborg
- 3 Maxx “C”
- 3 Reinforcement of the Army
- 3 U.A. Signing Deal
- 2 Terraforming
- 2 Speed Recovery
- 3 U.A. Powered Jersey
- 3 U.A. Stadium
3 Phoenix Wing Wind Blast
- 3 U.A. Penalty Box
Extra Deck (15):
- 1 Stellarknight Constellar Diamond
- 1 Adreus, Keeper of Armageddon
- 1 Constellar Pleiades
- 1 Artifact Durendal
- 1 Castel, the Skyblaster Musketeer
- 1 Steelswarm Roach
- 1 Evilswarm Exciton Knight
- 1 Abyss Dweller
- 1 Gagaga Cowboy
- 1 Tellarknight Ptolemaeus
- 2 Totem Bird
- 1 M-X-Saber Invoker
- 1 Wind-Up Zenmaines
- 1 Number 49: Fortune Tune
Side Deck (15):
- 3 Retaliating “C”
- 3 Mystical Space Typhoon
- 1 Dimensional Fissure
- 1 Macro Cosmos
- 3 Imperial Iron Wall
- 3 Royal Decree
- 1 Soul Drain
I’ve changed the U.A. engine to be as minimal as possible. After quite a handful of months playing around with the deck casually and at our locals I’ve found that I almost never want certain U.A. monsters and though the idea of them is novel and interesting, I only summon the 3 I kept in the deck. Naturally, Midfielder is a must, so it’s the clear 3-of. The other three are the main brunt of U.A.s: Dreadnought Dunker, Mighty Slugger and Perfect Ace.
Blockbacker was always underwhelming even against the decks it was theoretically good against. Rival Rebounder is great only in theory; It’s nice to recur monsters, but rarely ever do I setup that play nor do I ever have the luxury to perform the double Perfect Ace play using Rebounder during the opponents turn. The play is this: You have a Midfielder and a Perfect Ace during the opponent’s turn. You negate something with Ace, then chain Midfielder bouncing it back to hand to summon Rival Rebounder. Rebounder will then activate in a new chain allowing you to re-special summon the Perfect Ace from your hand allowing a second negation. This sounds really great, but it’s a lot of cards to setup right, and on top of needing a lot of setup you need viable discards for 2 Perfect Ace negations. More often than not I summon Perfect Ace with the expectation that he’ll die with the only goal being he impede important combos of the opponent’s deck.
That leaves only the main 3, of which I only run 2 of each making 6 total. The problem with all the Level 5+ U.A. monsters is that they clump really bad. You want to open with maybe 1, and sometimes 2. More often than not though it is prefered that you search or special summon them from the deck, thus making less copies ideal.
I toyed a lot with running different variations of no and max Penalty Box. While the card is underwhelming for the most part I’ve found that it is very crucial against Extra Deck reliant decks, specifically U.A., and is also very important in games 2 and 3 because it makes your defense very robust. Similarly, I tested purely offensive builds with no Phoenix Wing and I found that the deck simply isn’t consistent enough to run pure offense, thus in my semi-final build for this article, I’ve decided to fully invest in defense with max Phoenix Wing and max Penalty.
Here’s some minor things I’ve thought of adding or changing:
- If there are any potential cards to add to the deck, I was thinking of dropping 1 Reinforcement of the Army, 1 Phoenix Wing Blast, 1 Speedroid Takentonborg, or 1 Speed Recovery. Of the cards I’m running these are the least necessary at their current ratios.
- With only 1 target for RoTA and easy access to Invoker, 3 RoTA becomes less important.
- Wing Blast can clump at 3, but you draw it more consistently at 3.
- It’s rare you pull off a third search with Terrortop to grab the 3rd Takentonborg so the third is slightly unnecessary.
- Speed Recovery is bad to open with and I rarely activate it the games I’ve drawn it so far, I mostly keep it in hand a a fail safe. It’s possible I could replace both copies with 1 Soul Charge and another card.
- I’d like to add in MST, or Galaxy Cyclone if I could get my hands on some, to the main deck. Ideally it would be 2 Galaxy Cyclones to the main.
- I’ve thought about testing Solemn Scolding in the deck as well. Scolding is generally just a really powerful card, and it functions pretty normally in the deck since the deck rarely has anything set, and if it does it’s easily activatable. About Scolding though, it makes OTKs much easier and doubles as a just a general problem for opposing decks.
- I keep thinking I should main deck 1 copy of Mausoleum of the Emperor. I could search it with the 2 copies of Terraforming and it provides an out to Vanity’s Emptiness or Vanity’s Fiend, which tend to be a problem. It also solves problem hands that contain no access to Midfielder but also have Terraforming. Worst case scenario you can discard it for Phoenix Wing or Perfect Ace.
- I tested out Speedroid Menko, theoretically good, but I kept facing off against decks that didn’t OTK much so I ended up taking it out. Format and general tournament parameters could make this card more viable, assuming OTKs become a more relevant thing. If so, I would only run 1 though.
- Instant Fusion is a card I’ve been thinking about running, but because I took out a large amount of the Level 4 monsters I didn’t want to run it as much. If I add back in a couple copies of Juragedo I’d likely add in 1 or 2 Instant Fusion. With it I can make random Rank 4 XYZ after the opponent burns resources on your normal summon, which happens a lot. Also, you can revive Midfielder and bounce the Midfielder for a U.A. for a second wind. You can also follow that up by re-summoning the Midfielder from hand to make a Rank 4 like Ptolemaeus main phase 2 to get out a strong control Rank 5 XYZ.
That’s all! Feel free to leave comments.
Written by: Kyle Oliver