After their Thanksgiving break, Matt and Kyle discuss the up and coming Wind-Up archetype, some of their best strategies, and the support they will be getting in the Order of Chaos booster. They round things up with a little news and listener comments and questions.
Play Episode 045 Online – Download
- A “when you you need it” Wind-up Factory
- Works Off-turn so that you can get your “on turn” Factory with other Wind-Ups
- Works with Rank 3 Xyz
- Combos with Wind-Up Magician
- Allows you to save field presence
- Decent Attack
- A 1 for 1, that can be a +1
- This takes up your normal summon (good/bad?)
- Really easy to keep on hand
- Quill Pen of Gulldos (the Tengu card)
- Useful for killing FDs and problems
- An incredibly reliable beat-stick
- The go-to level 5 monster.
- What it does is good
- But with such low attack and use restriction, tech 1?
- A balanced card with a powerful one-time use effect
- Do you summon this with magician?
- Do you normal summon it?
- Summon it with Zenmaighty?
- Depends on the situation at hand and your goal
- Good defense for a first turn set
- Excellent effect for swarm
- Quick Rank 4 Xyz
- Possibly the Archetype into Swarm or Beatdown/Stun
- Easy to make
- 1 Card w/ Wind-Up Rat
- 1 Card w/ Tour Guide
- Nonrestrictive Deck and Graveyard Special Summoning
- This and Wind-up Magician make the Archetype Vers
- Low 1500 ATK, Effect Focused
Combo: Zenmaighty -> Rat -> LV4 Wind-Up + LV2 Tuner = Trishula
Combo: Zenmaighty -> (Detach/Revive) Rat -> LV3 Wind-Up = Zenmaighty
Support: Foolish Burial
Support: One For One -> Wind-Up Bat
Legendary Wind-Up Key
- Defensive Book
- Establishes re-use of all wind-ups
- can’t change the battle position of monsters that came into play that turn
- No Cost Monster Reborn with limitations
- You can still activate the effect of the monster to get Wind-Up Factory
- You can still combine it with another monster for an XYZ Summon
Swinging Spring Scales
- It will only get better as they add more Xyz Monsters to the game
- There are a lack of level 4 threats
- (3/4) They’re Gonna Choose 4
- (2/3⅔) Situation, they’re going to do the lower, because 3 is terrifying
- (4/5) they’re going to choose 4, because 5 is terrifying.
- Its easy for Wind-Ups to hit a range of levels, allowing you to hide your intentions as much as possible.
- This type of level modulation also helps with plant synchro
Perfect timing with christmas coming up.
Great episode! I learned a lot about the Wind-Up archetype. Now, I have a question: would it maybe be possible to get more guests on your podcast, like how Justen was in the beginning, where he would show up on certain episodes? I think it’d be really cool to have a bunch of alternating people from your locals joining you whenever you guys discuss something that they specialize in or something. Just a thought.
And Kyle, is there any way we can get a video about your Destiny Agent deck? The concept really fascinated me, and I’ve been trying to build it on DN, but I think it could run much smoother than it is right now. I really appreciate all that you guys do! Thanks so much for helping me learn so much about this game!
Great episode! I was looking forward to this one because I plan to use Wind-Ups soon. I hope this archetype gets more support, even thought it’s already pretty good.